10 February 2009

ah, nurseries

Do you have a "back-up" profession? You know, one that you'll turn to (effortlessly of course--this is fantasy!) when the you-know-what hits the fan, you lose your job or decide to change your life? (Apros po in this economy, no?)

Until recently, I have always thought mine was Park Ranger. The more remote the station, the better. My 8th grade English teacher was a very eccentric man who claimed to apply every summer for a ranger job. He would always turn it down, but I guess he liked knowing that he *could* if he wanted. I love the (100% romanticized) idea of being a ranger, which is totally bolstered by my reading of lots of Edward Abbey during my freshman year of college. If you're familiar with him, recall the fire look-out passages. Isolation, beauty and lots of time for reading!

ANYwhoo, I think I have a new back-up fantasy profession: Fabulous Plant Nursery Owner.

Now, I'm not talking about one of those dreary places with plastic containers, tacky annuals and fake rocks. I'm thinking seasonal, beautiful, organic, creative--and an amazing place to hang out. Two of my favorite places:

First, the oasis-like Flora Grubb nursery here in San Francisco, which features graphic, gorgeous low-water perennials, striking succulents and cacti, a recycled-chic aesthetic, lots of hang out space, and a Ritual espresso bar. How perfect. I didn't want to leave. Can't wait to populate my new/future garden with these beautiful low-maintenance plants. Check it out:





Second, Petersham Nurseries in Richmond, London. I haven't visited (yet!!) but really, really, really want to. Especially now, with the exchange rate what it is. What I love about this place is that it quietly exudes an English formality in the placement of plants and overall design, but often features unusual plant choices. They use no plastic whatsoever, are nearly totally organic, source locally, and use all my favorite materials: weathered wood, bamboo or branch stake teepees, pottery, baskets, woven trellises, pea gravel, etc.

Oh, and the Cafe! I received an email noting their prix fixe Valentine's Day menu and caught myself scheming how to pack husband and newborn on a last-minute 8-hour flight... ah well, some other time. I consoled myself by ordering a cookbook by the Cafe's chef, Skye Gyngell.

Lookeehere... (you can also find lots more on their web site and by searching for Petersham Nurseries on Flickr):




Images from FloraGrubb.com and PetershamNurseries.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails