I think I'm going to refrain from disclosing the actual organizations that I picked for small monthly gifts... It feels kind of personal. I think the areas will suffice. I decided to go with:
- a group that works within the US for justice,
- a domestic group dealing with animal welfare,
- an international group for animals and the environment,
- a group which feeds hungry children internationally, and
- my local public radio station! I used to be a member, but have been freeloading for ages. This stay-at-home mommy loves her some NPR, so it's about time.
Most non-profits these days have monthly giving programs, so that's what I went with. Just a little at a time will add up. I'll probably stick with these for a while, but maybe I'll mix it up with some other causes later. I love healthy school lunch programs... especially those in which kids mess around in a school veggie garden, and then get to eat their "project" at school lunches. How awesome.
By the way, if you want to do a little reconnaissance on charities--or just find one--it's easy to look them up here.